MMM…. fall is here, and I can smell it in my kitchen! I have really been craving some pumpkin doughnuts, and I found a great-sounding recipe for them on Pinterest. I was all set to make said doughnuts… and then I realized that required a doughnut pan, which I did not have. So I opted for muffins, which seem healthier anyway, regardless of the fact that they involve the exact same ingredients. It’s all about perception, people.
– 1/2 cup vegetable oil
– 3 large eggs (or 3/4 cup of egg beaters)
– 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
– 1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin puree
– 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
– 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
– 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
– 1 3/4 cups + 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
– 3 tablespoons cinnamon sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place cupcake liners in 2 standard muffin pans. My batch made approx 19 muffins.
2. With a mixer, beat together oil, eggs, sugar, pumpkin puree, spices, salt, and baking powder until smooth.
3. Add the flour, stirring until just smooth.
4. Fill the cupcake wells about 3/4 full.
5. Bake for approx 23 minutes, or until a toothpick or cake tester is inserted into the center of one comes out clean.
6. Remove the muffins from the oven and transfer them to a rack to cool.
7. Sprinkle heavily with cinnamon sugar. Cool completely, cover, and store at room temperature.